1 POLICY STATEMENT
- our employees/contractors and potential employees/contractors;
- our clients and potential clients,
- our suppliers; and
- the persons representing them, associated with them or acting on their behalf,
We are bound by and committed to complying with the Privacy Act 1993 (Privacy Act) and the privacy principles set out in the Privacy Act.
2 WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual such as that individual’s name and contact details.
4 HOW DOES SHIFT COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
SHIFT collects information about you whenever you interact with us, for example:
- when you visit our website;
- if you instruct us to provide services to you; or
- if you express an interest in working with us.
That information may be collected in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you: we might collect information directly from you in person, by telephone, by email or post or personal information about you might be included in documentation you provide to us;
- collection by third parties: in some cases, a third party may collect information from you on our behalf - for example, our bookkeepers might collect information they need in order to process payments to or from you;
- collection from third parties: with your consent, we might collect information from third parties – for example, from your referees;
- from public sources: we may collect information about you that you have chosen to make public, for example on social media; and
- automatically: we might also collect information from our website – see section 8.
We may also create or obtain personal information in the course of our relationship with you and any evaluative information we create may be confidential to us.
5 WHAT TYPE OF INFORMATION DOES SHIFT COLLECT?
Depending on the nature of your interaction with us, the types of personal information we collect may include:
- your name;
- your contact details;
- your bank account details and other financial information;
- your CV and other information relating to your work history and qualifications; and/or
- identity information such as your passport or driver’s license.
If a SHIFT client with whom you are associated is, for example, a company or trust, we might also ask you for information about, and evidence of, the nature of your relationship with that client.
6 WHAT IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE THE INFORMATION WE NEED?
In many cases, if personal information is not provided as requested by us we may not be able to provide our services to you, employ or otherwise engage you or otherwise enter into or continue a relationship with you.
7 HOW DOES SHIFT USE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may use the personal information we collect and hold:
- to consider the services you have asked us to provide and to provide those services;
- to represent, advise and communicate with you;
- if you have expressed an interest in working with us, to consider whether to engage you to do so (including for the purposes of reference checking);
- to perform our obligations under any agreement with you including, if we have engaged you to work with us, the employment or other agreement between us;
- for dealing with commercial or legal conflicts; and
- to otherwise comply with our legal obligations (including those relating to money laundering and terrorist financing).
We may also use personal information:
- in order to send you publications and invitations to seminars and functions and otherwise to market our services, subject to your consent;
- for internal business purposes such as billing and debt recovery (which may involve disclosing information to debt collectors); and
- for specific purposes we tell you about or you authorise.
We also collect general user information when you visit our website. This might include your internet protocol address, browser type and internet service provider details. We use this information to administer our website and to better understand how visitors use our website. However, the technical information we collect in this way is not personal information – because it does not include any personal identifiable information.
9 LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
10 TO WHOM DOES SHIFT DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may need to disclose personal information we hold about you to third parties, including:
- other entities or individuals who assist us in providing services or who perform functions on our behalf, such as identity verification agencies, our bookkeepers and hosting and data storage providers;
- government agencies and regulators, or anyone else with whom we are required to share that information for the purposes of complying with law - including laws relating to money laundering and terrorist financing; and
- in connection with a potential purchase of our business or assets.
We may disclose personal information if:
- it is required or authorised by you or the client with whom you are associated;
- it is required or authorised by law or the Law Society's Rules of Professional Conduct; or
- it is required by the laws of any foreign jurisdiction.
11 OPTING OUT/UNSUBSCRIBE
By subscribing to emails and/or text communication, or otherwise providing your email address and/or mobile number, you consent to receiving emails and/or texts from us. You can unsubscribe at any time by contacting us on firstname.lastname@example.org or by clicking the unsubscribe function in the relevant electronic communication.
12 STORAGE AND PROTECTION
We may store the personal information we collect about you in hard copy or using electronic storage which may be located within or outside New Zealand and which may be operated by independent service contractors.
We will take all reasonable steps to protect personal information that is held by us from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction.
We will retain your personal information for as long as we have a relationship with you and for a period of time afterwards where we have an ongoing business need to retain it. After that period we will comply with our legal obligations in respect of that information and generally this means we will delete it or make sure it is anonymised.
14 ACCESS AND CORRECTION
You may request access to, or correction of, any personal information we hold about you by emailing email@example.com.
To ensure that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current, please notify us of any changes to your personal information as soon as possible.
15 UPDATES TO THIS POLICY